Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Counted Back into the Hospital

Monday afternoon:
"I feel just fine. I don't know what they want."
"Well, you said they said your counts are dangerously low..."
"Probably because I live alone. So they let me go get my toothbrush and so on and made me come right back."
"And what are they doing?"
"So far, nothing. And next Monday is correct for me to come back for my fifth round since they would start with a transfusion and then the first IV dose on Tuesday. That way the Whit Monday holiday doesn't matter."
"Will you be able to go home in between?"
"Well, I'm going to ask the doc tomorrow morning during rounds."

Tuesday afternoon:
"And what have they done today?"
"Nothing, but I was out in the sun for two hours in the hospital garden. Even got some color on my arms. Maybe that will help my counts."
"At least you're laughing about it."
"Nothing else for me to do."

And on this Wednesday morning we're wishing our Berlin mom continued good humor and the chance to get out before the weekend. It would be nice to spend Mother's Day with her at her place or in a restaurant instead of on Station 5, but we'll be there wherever she is!

2 comments:

  1. Hope she made it home for mothers' day today! This conversation sounds remarkably similar to the one with Jeff's dad --
    What do you mean, you can't hear anything?
    Huh?
    I said ...
    90% of old men can't hear anyway.
    But they didn't lose their hearing overnight! Go to an ENT!
    He's just going to fit me for hearing aids; 90% of old men wear hearing aids.
    ***
    How'd the doctor go?
    I had fluid behind my eardrum; he drained it and now I can hear just fine.
    Told you so!
    ***
    Jennifer said he was just full of snot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For episode two, see my update from yesterday.
    And would Jenn tell him that to his face?

    ReplyDelete