Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Statue of Liberty

In the "debate" on immigration currently raging in the USA (and which is much more a populist diatribe to coddle the fearful and get their uninformed votes, especially in "Republican" circles), I would simply like to remind us all of Lady Liberty's position on that issue, as engraved on a bronze tablet there:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
[Emma Lazarus: The New Colossus, 1903]

Do you want to close the golden door? Where does YOUR family originate from? Only North American Indians can claim "non-immigrant" status, so wake up everybody. The rest of us nearly successfully wiped out all the "natives". This is ONE world, people. Let it be one with liberty and justice for ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment